I tried to mix up my session this morning. Partly because my back went on Friday and partly because I felt like trying something new. I also dropped the weight on the dumbbells today to make sure I didn’t put too much pressure on my back.
I switched out the lunges for single leg deadlifts. I learned two things from doing this. Firstly, it seems to be lunges that make me grumpy. No narkiness this morning after breakfast or even beforehand! It’s also shown that my balance isn’t great and there’s some work to be done on my core as I struggled to stay balanced for the single leg deadlifts. I’m going to keep them incorporated to make sure I strengthen my core.
My session was:
- 10 reps x 3 sets of goblet squats with 4.6kg weight.
- 10 reps x 3 sets Romanian deadlifts 4.6kgs each dumbbell.
- 10 reps for each leg x 3 sets single leg deadlift using a 4.6kg dumbbell.
- 10 reps x 4 sets calf raises with 4.6kgs dumbbells by my side.
- 10 reps x 3 sets bridge lifts with 2.3kg weight.
- 30 seconds work the 30 seconds rest x 3 sets crunches, then leg lifts then bicycle crunches.
I know why my back went, I have weakness there from when I pulled it when I was pregnant, and I was sat down and twisted. But it’s something I’ve done plenty of times and not had the same issue. I think I thought that with the introduction of strength training it would prevent injuries so it never crossed my mind that I would hurt my back. That said I’m also very surprised at how quickly it’s sorted itself out. Before when I’ve done something to my back it’s taken ages to ease up but this time I was running the following day pain free. Although I did find I was stiff if I sat still got long. May be although the strength training didn’t stop it hurting it did prevent it from being as bad as it could have been.
I’ve not been quite so good at incorporating strength training around the house this week. Must try harder!
Sprints again tomorrow, which I’m really looking forward to.